Assisted Instrument Purchase Scheme (AIPS)
The ‘Assisted Instrument Purchase Scheme’ (AIPS) is a government approved scheme enabling you to buy a Woodwind or Brass instrument for your child without paying the VAT. There are certain criteria which must be met, and there is all the information you need to know in our handy guide & video below.
The AIPS scheme has been running for many years and is designed to help parents purchase musical instruments more affordably. The scheme can be applied on any new instrument as long as it (and the player) meet the criteria of the scheme.
- The student must be in full time education at an LEA School or an Academy.
- The student must be receiving music tuition at the School/Music Centre.
- The instrument must be appropriate for the student's needs.
- The instrument must be portable.
- The instrument must change hands on Educational premises.
How the AIPS scheme works
We regularly provide instrument via the AIPS scheme to schools and music centres around the UK. Our team are on-hand to help with any queries you may have about the scheme or about choosing the right instrument. Just contact us to ask any questions and we’ll be happy to help.
- First, check with your School, Academy or Music Centre that they operate the 'Assisted Instrument Purchase Scheme'.
- Visit our shop and hand pick your own instrument from a large selection or telephone and reserve an instrument with the help of our team.
- Obtain the necessary form from your School/Music Centre - if they do not have a form you can download a copy of our Assisted Instrument Purchase Scheme form here. (MARK - Insert download link)
- Complete your details on the form and the choice of musical instrument. Please note that the form contains provision for an 'Administrative Charge' so you will need to check with your School/Music Centre to establish if they make such a charge. (Please note: This is not a Dawkes related charge)
- After completing your details and instrument choice, you need to pass the form along with your payment to the School/Music Centre for them to complete their details and send the form to us as an official order.
- The instrument will then be dispatched to the School/Academy/Music Centre at no extra charge.
- Finally, you collect your chosen instrument from your School/Academy/Music Centre.
Further Information & FAQ's
Although the instrument is purchased by the School/Academy/Music Centre, Dawkes Music retains all the purchase and serial number details for warranty purposes. If you need further information about the Assisted Instrument Purchase Scheme please telephone us on 01628 630 800 or contact your child's instrumental teacher at the School/Music Centre.
Q: Do I actually own the instrument?
A: Yes, if you purchase through the AIPS scheme you are still the eventual owner of the instrument. The school/authority is just a facilitator in the transaction. This means all your warranty is just like normal and fulfilled by Dawkes.
Q: Does it apply to all Woodwind & Brass instruments?
A: Yes. As long as the instrument is suitable for the player (and portable) the scheme can be applied to any new instrument we sell. For example you may be looking for a new beginners instrument, or you can also use the AIPS scheme to upgrade to a higher quality mid-range or professional model if the player is progressing accordingly.
Q: When we choose the instrument in-store can we take it away with us?
A: No, but we do reserve that specific instrument for you. We give you the serial no. of the exact instrument you tried and we hold it until the AIPS official order comes in from the school/authority. We then deliver the instrument to the school/authority for you to collect from them. This is one of the requirements of the scheme.
Q: Can I use the AIPS scheme via a Private/Fee-Paying school?
A: No. Unfortunately the scheme can only be used by LEA schools/music centres and Academies.
Q: Can the AIPS scheme be used on pre-owned instruments?
A: No. There is no VAT on the sale price of a pre-owned instrument. As such there is no VAT to pay in the first place.
Q: Does the Buy-Back Scheme apply to AIPS purchased instruments?
A: Yes, our Buy-Back scheme
can be applied to new instrument purchases originally made via AIPS.