Product InformationThe Selmer Supreme Tenor Saxophone has arrived 2 years after the introduction of the Supreme Alto. After over 100 years of history, the Selmer brand is propelled into a new generation with these Supreme Saxophones.
The new Supreme Tenor Sax has been designed to surpass the flexibility and sensation of lightness found in the best vintage Selmer Saxophones. This new model benefits from modern advances in tuning and response. It's finally arrived and is ready to take up its position at the top of the professional Saxophone market.The Selmer Supreme Tenor Sax StoryFollowing the success of the Supreme Alto it was only a matter of time before the Tenor Supreme entered the market. However, what's most interesting is that Selmer have not just re-purposed the Alto design for Tenor, rather they have approached this Tenor design as a new project to be sensitive to what a 'great' Tenor should play and feel like. In fact, the project to design the Tenor began before the Alto, it started 12 years ago!
The name Supreme pays homage to John Coltrane (and his album 'A Love Supreme'). Dozens of specialist tenor players of all musical genres around the world have participated in the various trials to determine the fundamental direction of this instrument. It has resulted in an instrument that is both powerful and extremely flexible and responsive. It has a huge dynamic range from the quietest whisper to the loudest roar.
The sound of the Supreme has been designed to offer a perfect balanced between roundness and rich sonority. It has unprecedented flexibly across the whole range and a broad projection. Technical changes to facilitate these aspects have been:
2. Ergonomics & Mechanics:
- A brand new neck bore design with larger entrance and exit diameters for more projection and a fuller tone
- Modified tone hole diameters for accurate intonation
- Elongated bell for a more precisely pitched and generous lower register
- Newly defined body vent for optimal speaking
- Reduced key diameter to 'free up' the tone holes and optimise the timbre
- Reduced keywork weight to help increase finger speed and dexterity
- Premium leather pads with rivet-free metal resonator
There have been many changes and modifications to the standard Selmer key layout principles of years gone by:
- 3-point concentric clamp for a better neck-to-body connection
- This clamp is made of nickel silver to add density to this important nodal point of the Saxophone
- The clamp is disassociated from the socket which makes it possible to adjust its position
- Direct arm between the right hand F# and F keys for a finer adjustment
- Octave key system includes Teflon inside for longer durability
- Hinged toggle on left hand pinky finger keys for greater ease of movement between each key
- Repositioned strap ring for better overall equilibrium
- Re-designed right hand side keys for smoother transition
Yes these elements are 'just for show' but it's the fine details that have always set Selmer apart.
Each Selmer Supreme comes complete with a case, concept mouthpiece (lig & cap), leather neck strap and special silk/microfiber cloth for cleaning the outside. Selmer also include a body swab, neck swab and cork grease.
- Finished in a dark gold lacquer akin to vintage models
- Newly designed key guards
- New bow reinforcement section
- Beautiful new engraving on bell and sections of body
- Exclusively designed case by specialists BAM
Selmer Supreme Tenor Sax - Testimonials
"I have been playing Selmer Saxophones my whole life. I have been waiting for Selmer to make a new horn that rivals the old instruments. I believe the Tenor Supreme has that. It plays better than my Super Balanced Action. The Tenor Supreme has a lot of power, with effortless feel in the keys...It plays even in all the registers with a beautiful tone". - RAVI COLTRANE"I started playing the Tenor Supreme and immediately the sound of the horn was amazing. It can play any kind of music in any range. It reminds me of the old horns."
- BRANFORD MARSALIS"The Tenor Supreme has those things that are important to me. It has a nice bark when you lay into it, it doesn't feel like it fizzles out. It's similar to my old Mark VI or to my Super Balanced Action."
- CHRIS POTTER
Try this Instrument In Store
We have a variety of testing environments instore for customers to experience and enjoy.
Our range of testing rooms are available to pre-book and we can even reserve stock in advance so if you're making a jouney to see us we can be prepared to make it a special experience for you.
Need Help with this item?
Our specialist trained staff are able to help you. Please contact us or call us on 01628 630800
Why Buy from Dawkes Music?
Dawkes Music & Windcraft Ltd are a globally recognised UK based Music Industry company that have expert staff who specialise in products, performance, teaching and repairing in the brass and woodwind sector.
Buy with confidence knowing that the shop you're dealing with has been awared a Feefo Gold Trusted Retailer award which recognises our hard work and consistent excellent customer service.
14 Day Approval
Try your item at home, in a lesson, in the band and make sure it's perfect for you. If you are not convinced we can refund the item in full upon return. (£5 re-stocking fee on any mouthpieces, approval not available on reeds).
All in stock items are usually dispatched within 24 hours, express delivery options are available at the checkout, including next day delivery.
We carefully choose and stock the best products on the market, be it the newest mouthpiece or official replacement spare parts for instruments. We keep over 8,000 lines in stock covering everything Woodwind & Brass.
We carefully check pricing to ensure our customers get the best deals with unrivalled pre-sale advice and after-sales care.
Top Quality After Sales Service
We have 18 members of staff in-store and on the telephone 6 days a week, and our online service is 24/7. Experience you can trust with over 40 years in the business and a third generation specialist family business.