The Wood Stone 'New Vintage' Alto Saxophones are the result of years of technical expertise and know-how from the wonderful technicians at Ishimori, Japan.
The Ishimori repair centre/shop in Japan is regarded by some of the worlds finest sax players as THE mecca of Saxophone repair and customisation. Out of the years of experience of these highly skilled Technicians comes the Wood Stone 'New Vintage' Alto Sax; a culmination of their technical expertise, coupled with the meticulous study of vintage saxes of years gone by with the application of modern design and acoustical advances.
The AF model is an antique finish, this gives the Sax a dark, warm tone that is equally resonant and rich throughout the whole range. This is the WOF (without Top F# model) which gives a different sound and feel due to the removal of the Top F# key + tone hole. The idea being that the normal hole is positioned at a critical nodal point and some players and manufacturers believe the best resonance and response is achieved with a Sax that doesn't have that hole machined out.
The detailing of design and finishing of these Saxophones is second to none, let's have a look at some of the more unique features:
1. The neck features a vintage style exterior with slimline keywork for a rapid, accurate action. The internals are modelled on the finest vintage necks in history (Selmer MKVI #90,000) that have been meticulously studied and enhanced to balance the tuning scale and response on these 'New Vintage' models.
2. Instead of using glue at the body/bow and bow/bell joins they are soldered together. This allows the tube to act 'as one' and resonate freely with no dulling or dumbing down of the vibrations at these key acoustical points.
3. The comfortable thumb hook is designed to leave space between the fitting and the body, this again allows for maximum resonance and a freedom of the brass.
4. Even the neck screws are scrutinised and produced from a special alloy to enhance the resonance at this key acoustic point of the instrument.
5. The internal bore shaping is a modified vintage design which perfectly balances the neck measurements. This ensures a very even tone from top to bottom and also rock solid intonation.
6. The key layout has again been the subject of much research and design. The Ishimori president (Tomochika Ishimori) has years of experience modifying all sorts of Saxophones to fit perfectly under the fingers. These concepts and his personal design ideas about the springing have been applied to the 'New Vintage' Sax range. This model is without top F# (WOF).
7. The outfit is supplied in a deluxe hard case with shoulder straps and an optional front and back pocket. It really is a luxurious case with some cleaning accessories included. (no mouthpiece or ligature supplied)
Anonymous review via Feefo
I was allowed to try every saxophone I wanted , and the one I chose was just a perfect fit. Proves you really have to try them all.
We ship to a large number of Countries. Select at the
As a specialist we stock large amounts of Woodwind & Brass Instruments and Accessories
Dawkes Music have been voted best Classical Music shop